Saturday, 13 December 2003
bon anniversaire dylan

Tulsi Restaurant

Today is Dylan’s birthday… and we got up at 4:30 this morning to catch the train (from Ashford International Terminal in Kent) to Disneyland.  Last night Dylan, bluemeanie, pinkie and I took Beezy to the Tulsi restaurant in Westerham to celebrate her birthday, which was on Thursday. One of the waiters took the above picture.

I don’t think we will see much of Paris itself, from Disneyland.  But my favourite book on Paris is The Insider’s Guide to Paris

I’m posting this at 9 am from the Eurostar train which is hurtling towards Paris at 130 km per hour. I’ll try and post again later tonight, once we manage to hit The Magic.

Posted by bigblue on 13/12/2003 at 10:02 AM
Friday, 12 December 2003
la aisselle

teppanyaki chef

Flank sent me the picture (above) of the Teppanyaki chef in Sydney “sniffing his armpit”. He took it at the restaurant where he, Lyam and Aaron went on the night of Aaron’s birthday. He wrote:

Well the teppanyaki chef we had was a little restrained.  He did a sort of “Tom Cruise” number with the pepper grinder, throwing it over his shoulder and catching it behind his back.  He wrote English messages to us upside-down and back-to-front on the grill using the salt pourer (starting with the full stop and progressing to the beginning of the sentence). He was pretty flash on the grill, but other than that did not involve us much. Much like I have seen at other teppanyakis in the past.  However the chef at the next table was a little more “in the face” of his diners.  One move was to play golf with the raw eggs he was about to cook with.  He cracked the eggs a little so that the stood up on end. then used his spatula to hit them into a bowl held by a diner on the other side of the table.  This had pretty impressive results.  He did this with everyone, and later used the eggs to cook with.  He also chopped at food that was being cooked so that it flew into bowls being held up, and also chopped food directly into the mouths of two of the diners.  The most adventurous I’ve had in the past is having to catch already filled bowls of food being thrown at you.

Talking about armpits, did you know that the armpit effect distinguishes kin from strangers?  Or that being exposed to the smell of a sweaty male armpit can make a woman feel calmer? Or that the armpit smells of elderly women can lift your spirits? Uplifting armpits then.

Tomorrow morning we leave for Disneyland Paris.

Posted by bigblue on 12/12/2003 at 10:33 PM
Filed under: Asia PacAustralia • (1) CommentsPermalinkBookmark or Share
Wednesday, 10 December 2003
bon anniversaire aaron

Christmas Bling

The above picture is of the Christmas lights installed on the house, garage, car-port, trees, etc. at a house in nearby Limpsfield.

Today there was pea-soup fog the whole day, so the traffic was a bit hectic driving to work and back. I should have had my camera on me… then again it might have been difficult to drive and take photos. It can’t be legal - you aren’t allowed to hold a phone now when driving.

Ash sent me a tip recently: Go to Google. Type in “miserable failure”. Then click on “I’m feeling lucky”.  The term for this is googlebombed.  Supporters of Bush are now trying to Googlebomb the words “great president”.

And for those who are interested in this kind of thing, I found some hardcore pron here

Today is Aaron’s 16th birthday. And if flank sends me the photo he took of the chef who looks like he’s smelling his armpits (from the Teppanyaki restaurant) I will post it here!

Posted by bigblue on 10/12/2003 at 11:23 PM
Rose Nyland calls them “längenhörngen” (sp?)

William Bass

This is another picture from pinkie’s concert last weekend, showing William Bass directing the special guests Spikes and Bass Explorers. They played Greensleaves (trad.), A lovely day (Irving Berlin), Rule Britannia (Arne), and White Christmas (Irving Berlin).

Flank sends more interesting information on our illustrious namesake, Jesse:

Here is more detailed information about that famous son of Yorkshire ... from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem website.  Have a look at the imperious nose in the portrait at the bottom of this web page.  Unmistakable!
link.

For three-dimensional image of one of his machines see the physics department at the University of Urbino in Italy:
link.

I can notice the resemblance to Popple!

Finally, I am a bit shocked this evening after reading what they are getting up to at Columbia University, with the baboons.  Read here (but not for the squeamish). What do such experiments say about our humanity. I was informed of all this by Steve Talbot of Netfuture who writes an interesting commentary on how

baboon #777 was sacrificed on the altar of science just about a week after the collapse of the World Trade Center towers.  Dust and smoke were still wreathing Manhattan, where the Columbia campus is located.  The city was in a fearful and barricaded state.  But you have to hand it to those researchers:  they were nothing if not brave and dedicated to the high calling of their profession.

You can read his full article here (in In Service of Science).

Posted by bigblue on 10/12/2003 at 01:21 AM
Filed under: (0) CommentsPermalinkBookmark or Share
Monday, 08 December 2003
machine de ramsden

Leonie Anderson

This is a picture from Pinkie’s concert last Saturday, showing the conductor Leonie Anderson getting into the full swing of things.

Today flank sent a cool picture, apparently an engraving from an old book, which is now the wallpaper on my phone.  The caption, Machine de Ramsden was rather intriguing, so I did a bit of websearch (as opposed to research). There is an article about this machine, here. If you are linguistically challenged, the Franglish version, courtesy of Babelfish is here.

So, today was my first day at my client’s site in the UK. It was a 1.5 hour drive there this morning, so I got in just before 8 am. Fortunately it was only 1 hour return.  And only 2 hours to get the laptop they gave me in Haguenau to connect to the network at the new site. Just as well I will be there for a week, otherwise it would have been quite a waste.

The girls, Dylan and I will take Beezy to The Tulsi Restaurant to celebrate her birthday.  I made the booking today. I couldn’t find a website for them, but I did find this site which has photos of margie and niggle’s farewell. Whoever these brave people are, they seem to have had fun. So what if you spill red wine down a white top?

Posted by bigblue on 08/12/2003 at 11:05 PM
Sunday, 07 December 2003
respectez la propreté des lieux

litter

I intend to post a picture from Pinkie’s concert on Saturday night. However today it was sunny (but cold) so I explored the bushes at the bottom of the garden. The above items were found. Perhaps I should write a letter to the local pubs and shops asking them what they intend to do to ensure that their customers are not responsible for such litter. Unfortunately one doesn’t have time. Today was hectic: I dropped bluemeanie at church to sing in the choir, dropped Dylan at the station (he went to Camden with a friend), then went to the local supermarket to buy our provisions for the week, came back and unpacked them, then Pinkie and I dashed back to fetch bluemeanie, and we picked up Beezy (their aunt), then we all went to Bluewater. Bluemeanie and pinkie wanted to buy Christmas presents. Beezy (and Pinkie also) wanted some clothes. I needed a pair of jeans. We all spit up. Ten minutes later I had my jeans, but we had arranged to meet in one hour for lunch at Pr�t � Manger, so I arbed around for another 50 minutes. I went to a bookshop, walked around the outside ice-rink, and stood under the snow-machines, which were creating the appropriate backdrop to the skating and the performance of a local choir. I was on time for lunch; the others were all late. After lunch we all split up again, but pinkie and I arranged to meet after 30 minutes, so that I could pay for some clothes she had chosen. In the meantime she was going to buy some other stuff she had seen, but not had time to queue for before lunch to pay for. After 30 minutes I was in the appointed spot. Pinkie arrived 15 minutes later. We bought her a pair of trainers - sort-of retro tennis shoes. Bluemeanie arrived to join us, then pinkie led us the wrong way around Bluewater to get: pyjamas, a jacket and some sunglasses.  Pinkie paid for the sunglasses herself. Then it was back to the exit, where Beezy had just arrived, and then back to Oxted.

This afternoon I tidied the kitchen, fetched Dyl from the station, cooked this evenings meal, cooked tomorrow evening’s meal (but this was not one and the same thing!), did all the washing up (assisted by the dishwasher), did all the laundry (assisted by the, um, whatchamacallit), hung out all the laundry, folded away all of yesterdays, and ironed bluemeanie and pinkie’s skirts and shirts for school tomorrow.

Bluemeanie was upstairs working on her essay. She says she has been having writers’ block the past two days. But I notice that she doesn’t seem to have much writers’ block here. Pinkie did her nails and tidied her room. Her nails look cool, but I can’t notice any difference with her room - it still looks like un vrai bordel.  Tomorrow I will post a picture from Pinkie’s concert.  I am tempted to post a picture of her room. She says she is aiming to have it clean and tidy by Wednesday.

Dyl was the first to bed tonight. I noticed that he has been very tired lately - he is still jetlagged from his recent trip to Canada. He says he wakes in the middle of the night too.

Posted by bigblue on 07/12/2003 at 11:55 PM
Saturday, 06 December 2003
After Study (Oxted)

Oxted High Street

Here’s the “after” study of the photograph that I posted on 23 Nov 2003. The Christmas lights of the Oxted High Street.

Today is St Nicolas day, an important day in certain circles.  I bought some spicy biscuits in Strasbourg yesterday to celebrate. Pinkie had a (presumably belated) Autumn Concert for SESAY (South East Surrey Area Youth Symphony Orchestra). I got most of it on video, including that bit at the beginning (in close up) of Pinkie shaking her head at me and going “No, no! Turn it off!.

This coming week I will be working in the UK, and looking after bluemeanie and pinkie as their mom will be in Geneva preparing for the World Summit of the Information Society.  I am looking forward to seeing them every day, as well as Dylan who is back from Canada.  Next weekend the four of us are going to Disneyland to celebrate Dylan’s birthday! We will go by Eurostar, leaving on Saturday morning and returning on Sunday afternoon.

Posted by bigblue on 06/12/2003 at 10:09 PM
Friday, 05 December 2003
After Study (Haguenau)

Porte du Wissembourg

The above photo of Porte du Wissembourg, Haguenau is the “after” study of the photo I posted on 2 Dec 2003.

Today I received a thought-provoking link, from the Papyrus News list that states that

In a world where we are constantly chatting, very little is actually being said. We email—but are we really in touch?

You can read the full article here.

If you have one of those new mobile phones with a camera, why don’t you start phlogging? You can sign up for a free account here.

At Phlog I found out about another obscure sport which is hot in Sweden.

Posted by bigblue on 05/12/2003 at 10:43 PM