Next entry: The blast furnace

Previous entry: Before the Storm

Monday, 26 September 2005
Circling

circling

This sculpture of a bird of prey is situated at the Moira furnace. Its relevance to the furnace is not clear, although there is a small wooded area adjacent to the furnace and canal. The bird is appropriate to the theme of the poems that flank posted.  Last night I went to see Pride and Prejudice. I enjoyed the film but feel it has certain weaknesses. According to the IMDB link above Emma Thompson did a complete rewrite of the script of the movie, which she is not credited for (but for which she gets special thanks in the end credits of the film. It would be good now to watch the more substantial 1995 version by the BBC.

Posted by bigblue on 26/09/2005 at 01:04 AM
Filed under: EuropeUnited KingdomEngland • (6) CommentsPermalinkBookmark or Share

One of your links seems to be broken. The poems you are talking about are here.

Posted by mojo  on  26/09/2005  at  10:21 AM

Link now repaired. Thanks.

Posted by bigblue  on  26/09/2005  at  10:21 PM

The 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice is currently being repeated on BBC4. Episodes 5 and 6 (the final one - sob!) will be shown Tuesday night from 7pm… afraid though you’ve missed the all important Lake scene - Oh Mr Darcy! Still so v. good!

I haven’t seen the latest film. However, I really don’t see how you could ‘fit’ Jane Austens story into a couple of hours. At least the BBC managed 6 hours worth…

However good the BBC series is - I still think the best way to discover this story is to read the book. It is just such a good tale.. and so well written.

Posted by KateMarie  on  26/09/2005  at  10:58 PM

My main problem with the new film (of which I slept for about half an hour!) is that is strives to be a copy of the BBC version, which, in all its greatness, isn’t true to the book. Lizzie is not brunette, for crying out loud! She is blonde! Austen is explicit! How dare they deliberately mislead the unsuspecting audience and desecrate Austen’s words and intentions? And Keira Nightly, however good-looking she may be (according to the boys who have pinned a huge picture of her up in the 6th Form Common Room and written insightful comments such as “fit” underneath), is simply not Lizzie. Her voice doesn’t fit, fo one, as every now and then, especially when trying to portray emotion, she slips into a bit of a 1999 London accent.

I will say that the cinamatography is excellent, with very interesting shots (although some, especially noting the ball scene, were completely copied from the BBC version). They did make me a little dizzy, but after I’d had my nap they didn’t seem to bother me so much.

Another thing: the focus of the film is not the characters, but it’s very themey. They seem to be going for the whole “social situation” one, which Austen wasn’t even aware of, dammit! They could have at least gone for marriage, or at a push the status of women and what they had to settle for. Mr. Collins/Charlotte seemed to be the closest they would go. But nothing for the Bennett parents-esque marriage of Lydia, and the Gardiners were a little underplayed, considering their model for the Bennett girls, especially Jane. And where was Mrs. Phillips, Mrs. Bennett’s gossipy sister, you ask? Me too. A comic opportunity missed, although time was, of course, a factor. I was disappointed by the lack of Georgiana, too.

Oh, and Mrs. Gardiner is NOT Mrs. Bennett’s sister! Mrs. Bennett, n?e Gardiner, is the sister of Mr. Gardiner! Tut tut.

::picks up soap-box, tucks it under arm, and leaves to catch the bus home from school::

Posted by bluemeanie  on  27/09/2005  at  05:08 PM

I am beginning to think I will need to re-read the book after watching the BBC version.

At least the book spares us the vision of Colin Firth emerging from the lake!

Posted by bigblue  on  27/09/2005  at  10:05 PM

I agree with bluemeanie that the film is very shallow compared to the book. Regarding the film immitating the BBC version, I notice that films tend to immitate each other a lot.

Posted by mojo  on  03/10/2005  at  02:44 PM

To post a comment Login or Register (Why?)