bigbluemeanie

Navigation

Home | Links | .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) | Videos | Oxted Paris Cycle Ride | Scarlett | Site notices

About This Site

About
A personal weblog with photographs and comments. Quiet ramblings, quite rambling...

Members

Login | Register | Why?

Search

Advanced Search

Most recent entries

Recent entries with comments

Feeds

Categories

Monthly Archives

Links

Lately listening to


Site Statistics

Site Credits

Next entry: Some children are such a drag

Previous entry: Be thar band ‘o pirates in Bath?

Wednesday, 08 May 2013
High Rennaissance

image
The Lloyds building in Bristol. A plaque on the right front side of the building reads:

On this site stood the Bush, a celebrated
coaching inn. Edmund Burke M.P. used it as
his election campaign headquarters.
In Pickwick Papers Charles Dickens had
Mr Winkle stay there. The inn later became
Bush Chambers where Bristol & West Building
Society was founded in 1850.

The present building was erected in 1857
by The West of England and South Wales
District Bank. The Architects W.B. Gingell
and T.R.Lysaght, based its High Rennaissance
style on Jacopo Sansovino’s Library of
St Mark, Venice. It has been occupied by Llyods
Bank Limited since 1892 and the exterior
remains substantially in its original form.

This plaque was unveiled by
Andrew Breach, C.B.E. Chairman
Bristol & West Bilding Society
22nd October 1981

Posted by bigblue on 08/05/2013 at 08:03 PM
Filed under: EuropeUnited KingdomEngland • (0) CommentsPermalinkBookmark or Share

To post a comment Login or Register (Why?)