Next entry: Shining Path

Previous entry: Junk shop

Tuesday, 23 May 2006
Police incident

police incident

This is the scene this evening of the service station in Oxted where there was a police incident earlier. The station has been cordoned off with tape by the police and the patrol van is guarding the station. Inside a member of staff (?) appears to be doing a stock-take.  The police guarding the service station were not very talkative and did not volunteer any information.

A few years ago Surrey Police had issued an appeal for a witness after a robbery at this same service station on 1 April 2002.  The Surrey Police site is quite cool because you can search for incidents based on key words. For example here are all incidents with the keyword Oxted in them.

Posted by bigblue on 23/05/2006 at 11:05 PM
Filed under: EuropeUnited KingdomEngland • (5) CommentsPermalinkBookmark or Share

Blimey! An armed robbery in Oxted! Seems crime is on the up just in time for them to close down the police station! Apparently there’s been quite a lot of vandalism at St Mary’s Church too, someone’s ripped out the porch seat, pulled the gate off and sprayed graffiti over the noticeboards - that’s the latest thing.. I haven’t seen it yet but I heard it’s bad!

Posted by kipperfrog  on  26/05/2006  at  04:24 PM

It seems to be the same station that was hit in 2002.

I think that when we get this kind of crime it is a spill-over from the London Metropolitan area. It is daft that the government is proposing to merge the Surrey Police with Hampshire Police, as the counties are quite different.

Regarding the vandalism, I assume that is by the young people I have spotted drinking in the cemetary in the evenings.  If the drinking age was lowered, to say 13 or 14, we could eliminate that problem as those responsible would be able to go and get drunk in the pubs in Old Oxted like everyone else.

Posted by bigblue  on  26/05/2006  at  05:54 PM

Err ... I think you may find it’s the drinking itself rather than youth being excluded from pubs that is associated with higher crime statistics.

I’m not saying that children should not be socialised into a culture of drinking, just that the obvious solution may be socially unpalatable.

Posted by flank  on  31/05/2006  at  10:00 PM

I agree that it is the drinking that is the problem, rather than where the drinking takes place. I was attempting to be faceitious.  In fact I think it is a problem even that the people legally (one assumes) getting drunk in the pubs in Old Oxted cause a disturbance when they leave the pub.

About a month ago I had to call the police because a young woman was lying screaming and crying on the pavement. It seems her boyfriend (who was in the pub with her) had beaten her up. The police took 25 minutes to arrive, by which time she and her friends had left. While waiting for the police I witnessed minor vandalism being conducted by people coming out of the aforementioned pub.

Posted by bigblue  on  01/06/2006  at  12:56 AM

The police now have a report up on the incident in Oxted.

Posted by bigblue  on  02/06/2006  at  10:53 AM

To post a comment Login or Register (Why?)