Next entry: Stonehenge

Previous entry: Waiting for a bus

Wednesday, 31 May 2006
Good things to know

good things to know

I spotted this book in the recipe section of the secondhand bookshop in Oxted.  The shop is actually called The Secondhand Bookshop.

Posted by bigblue on 31/05/2006 at 10:57 PM
Filed under: EuropeUnited KingdomEngland • (5) CommentsPermalinkBookmark or Share

I’m curious.. Did you open it? What are the good things to know?

Posted by KateMarie  on  01/06/2006  at  02:06 AM

The subtitle of the book (obscured in the above photograph) is - for your Home, Garden, Toilet, Hobbies, Office, Pets - EVERYTHING.

What specific area would you like to know the good things about?

Posted by bigblue  on  01/06/2006  at  01:51 PM

Okay - I’m not interested in the home or garden - as I currently don’t have one..

I think I’ll pass on the ‘toilet’ one too. I already know the good and bad things here - Living in Malaysia means you will face many varied experiences in this particular area. Mainly horrific!

Hobbies - not sure - unless there are some great golf tips…

Pets… nope.. Not sure what you can have when you live on the 21st Floor?

So - it has to be the Office.. and considering the week I’ve had.. please tell me all the good things to know about the office.. I know ALL the bad!

Posted by KateMarie  on  02/06/2006  at  01:50 AM

The booklet was edited and produced for F.W. Woolworth & Co Ltd, London. For a magazine that purports to help one discover more than an odd “wrinkle” for economies in home and office a surprising (not) number of the hints involve purchasing something from the Woolworths stores.

There are no good things to know about golf, apparently.

For The Office, there are a few tips, for example:

Protect Your Dress
City offices are not the dingy holes of gloom and pomposity that they used to be in Dickensian times ; but alas ! all of them are not clean perfection yet. City smuts still come floating in and they ruin the sleeves before anything else about the City girl’s apparel. To keep dust at bay, make elbow-reaching cuffs from that glossy Italian cloth which can be bought in all sorts of pretty colours. Your blouse will be fresh as a daisy at the end of the day, and the cuffs can be washed over and dried in a minute when they get grubby.

There are no punctuation tips however.

Posted by bigblue  on  02/06/2006  at  11:33 AM

Martin told us that last year already.

Posted by bigblue  on  02/06/2006  at  11:34 AM

To post a comment Login or Register (Why?)